9.05.2013

listen up





Thursday, September 5: Pass on some useful advice or information you learned and always remembered.

The first thing that comes to mind is this:  "Say please, thank you, and know how to read."  That was the advice that always came from my dad.  (well - that and that duct tape can fix anything.) 

 Photo props:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/113655546/please-and-thank-you-manners-typography?ref=exp_listing

I have learned that it is pretty much the truth.  I've certainly learned that you catch more flies with honey.  Saying "please" and "thank you" and "my pleasure" and "excuse me" definitely set me apart from the crowd.  Knowing how to read (and enjoying every second of it) sets me above much of the crowd. 

The key is knowing what to do with all of this. Therein lies the problem, no?

While we're at it, here is some other useful advice that I've gleaned:
-  wear a slip
-  never settle
-  brush your teeth
-  choose your battles
-  when in doubt, dress up
-  call your parents 

4 comments:

sarahsmile3 said...

I really like that advice and I like how it sounds. It should be on a greeting card or a refrigerator magnet.

"When in doubt, dress up" is also 100% awesome.

Jessica said...

Love it! Great advice from one of the best advice-givers.(You, I mean. Dad, too, but this was in relation to you.)

I need to invest in a slip. And Spanx.

Jessica said...

P.S. Adeline just pointed at your blog background and said "Mommy! Mine. Flowers. TUTE!" about the cute flowers there. :) haha!

The JP Behnkes said...

Of course it's all good, but I particularly love the "wear a slip" as I'm convinced that half of all female problems would be solved with them. The other half would be solved by pairing pearls with everything (see: when in doubt, dress up.).