6.14.2011

D


D is for deodorant.

A friend of mine told me about this deodorant that her sister made. She describes her sister as a "yippie." (A yuppie that does hippie things like make her own deodorant.) She made me a batch and I've been using it for 2 weeks and I LOVE it. I'll admit - I'm not usually one to put forth the time, energy or money to make my own stuff - I've kind of become spoiled to my convenience items. But this stuff is SO easy and SO awesome that I am sold. Maybe this is TMI, but I hardly sweat anymore... and if I do (like when I was laying by the pool), I still smell good. The only thing that it did not survive was a dip in the pool - but my normal Dove deodorant doesn't survive that either! Here is the recipe:

1 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp coconut oil
optional: a few drops scented essential oil (we used Jasmine)

That's it! You just mix it together and then apply it every morning! It is kind of a thick paste that dries clear. (unless you put too much on. But even then, you can just rub it in better.)

I ran out of it this weekend and had to use my store-bought deodorant and it gave me a rash!

I also found this awesome coconut deodorant powder at Lush the day Sarah took me on errands while my surprise party was being set up. So basically, I smell like a tropical paradise. LinkJust sayin'.

4 comments:

sarahsmile3 said...

I love it as well! That stuff is fantastic and aluminum free (unlike your typical antiperspirants). All I know is, people with alzheimer's have an increased amount of aluminum in their brains. If a little home made d.o. for the b.o. maybe decreases the chance of suffering from this condition, then bring on the coconut oil.

Also, it is inexpensive. Bonus.

Amy said...

I'm gonna try this! I hope I can find coconut oil here, though. Anyone know what that looks like in kanji?

Miss Bee said...

Amy, does Amazon ship to APOs? If so, you can order it from them. You don't have to get anything fancy - we used the "Nature's Way" brand.

M. J. Macie said...

OMG! I copied this post to send to my sister (she doesn't blog, or tweet or really do anything on the web). She is allergic to the ingredients in deodorant and needs to know of this formula. You can imagine the dilemma she has dealt with for years. I believe this post will be a life-saver for her.

Thank you so much!
M.J. Macie