3.15.2009

H20

Is it just me, or is this "bottled water" business getting out of hand? Don't get me wrong - I love bottled water just as much as the next guy. (Especially with those nifty little skinny crystal light packets - GENIUS!) But now we have to feel bad every time we drink out of a bottled water because water bottles buried in landfills can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade and leak chemicals, yada yada yada. I'm no expert, but I already have cancer, heart disease and spinabifida in my family tree, so I'm not sure what a few plastic chemicals are going to harm, but whatever. (Yes, I want to leave a better world for my nieces and nephews and any children I might have - take a deep breath and don't take me so seriously, geez.) So now, instead of drinking out of the bottled water, we are supposed to use an aluminum one:
(I'm partial to the red one.) Or, we can spend a couple extra dollars and get a stainless steel one:


(This one is actually pretty sweet, right?) Or, we can use a Brita Fill & Go, which lasts for up to 57 uses:


OR -I just saw this today, we can now buy Water in a Box:


THIS JUST IN.....

There is something that has been around for ages - it doesn't harm the environment, take up space in a landfill or really even cost anything. If you're hardcore, you could even re-use it, which SAVES water in the long-run. (drumroll please.....)

Introducing THE GLASS!



My goal is to become a better friend to him. Baby steps people, baby steps.

10 comments:

Pat said...

Though we use bottled water on trips, and I like the convenience, how did we ever travel so many years without it? Hmmm....I think they're called 'thermos jugs'. Of course you had to bring along Mr. Glass or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Anonymous said...

So this is funny b/c it drives Colin batty. I will buy bottled water when I forget to take a plastic cup with me or my WW water bottle. I re-use the plastic bottles over and over until really the thing that grosses me out is the fact that germs are probably on it....but yah, stuff leaking through the plastic doesn't scare me, at all. I might eat those words one day, until then.... I also use the same plastic cups in the house for up to a week...

I'm disgusting.

Joseph said...

I love it. Hilariousl

Amanda said...

That's my girl-GLASS! haha
But I do love my SIGG...it reminds me of a time in my life when I went running.

Miss Bee said...

Laurie, if you are disgusting, I am too! I re-use those water bottles at work too. It really is pretty nasty - I take it back... we are both disgusting. ;)

Amy said...

Okay, this one actually struck a nerve for me.

Well, FYI, Stainless is the way to go - the only material actually proven not to leak anything harmful. I, for one, am a FIRM believer that plastics are harmful to our health - breast cancer doesn't happen at 27 for no reason at all and the fact that mine was estrogen-sensitive is no coincidence either - the materials from plastics that leak into our bodies (by heating plastic in the microwave or reusing plastic water bottles) proceed to act like pseudo-estrogens in our bodies...possibly causing and then feeding cancer, or causing a myriad of other problems. I'm not saying plastic caused my cancer, because I think there was a host of contributors, but I am saying it didn't help.

To each their own, I guess but my take? Well, I do whatever I can to never have to be bald again. And if I end up bald anyway, then I'll know I did all I could and that it was just bound to happen. Plus, I'm doing my part to help the earth! Yes, I also carry 6 reusable bags with me to the grocery store :)

Miss Bee said...

Amy, you must have missed the part in itty-bitty print where I said not to take me too seriously! But I love you anyways. I pray I never have to see you or my mom bald again, and although my dad is already bald, I'd rather him not have cancer again either. I also wish Larry had parents for me to meet, instead of both being taken by cancer. (I could go on and on, but that would just be depressing.)

I don't take it lightly, I'm just making fun of myself for not using a GLASS to drink water anymore. (which, btw does not leak anything harmful either.) Let's argue about it over a glass of wine, or a stainless carafe of wine if you prefer, sometime soon. xoxo

Amy said...

okay ;)

sarahsmile3 said...

Toting a glass across campus is hard for me so stainless steel bottle it is! At home, I use a glass.

You're funny.

It's a bad idea to reuse those plastic bottles. Think of the bacteria. You can't really give them a good washing.

ynez taylor said...

I like glass, too. The reason no one drinks out of a glass anymore is because tap water is "taboo."

My tap water tastes good. And has never made me sick.
So, in interest of the environment (any my pocket)... glass i'tis.