11.28.2010

the conspiracy - week one

When we were kids, we had the best Advent calendar ever. My mom made it - it was white felt with 24 pockets. Each pocket had a little design glued onto it - a tree, a santa, a present. We had morning prayer every day growing up - we all met in the living room before getting ready for school and said our prayers. Advent was my favorite time for morning prayers, because we got to light the candle(s) and get the candy out of the pocket.

I don't really have an Advent tradition anymore and I miss it, so when I came across the Advent Conspiracy, it really spoke to me.


[Worship Fully]

[Spend Less]

[Give More]

[Love All]

I'm going to be in on the conspiracy this year. So if you were hoping that I was going to buy you a bunch of meaningless crap this year, sorry to burst your bubble. But I will mention your name when I say the Advent prayers I just found.

Week one:

As we begin Advent, we light one candle in the midst of all the darkness in our lives and in the world. It symbolizes our longing, our desire, our hope. Three "advents" or "comings" shape our desire. We want to be renewed in a sense that Jesus came to save us from our sin and death. We want to experience his coming to us now, in our everyday lives, to help us live our lives with meaning and purpose. And we want to prepare for his coming to meet us at the end of our lives on this earth.


5 comments:

sarahsmile3 said...

What a great idea!!!

Sarah said...

I was *just* thinking (all week long) about our societal dependence on consume-consume-consume... it's scary when you put it into perspective and realize just how many people could be helped in the spirit of charity, but are not. (also when people trample each other on Black Friday- crazy!)

thanks for posting this. I'll be participating as well. :)

The JP Behnkes said...

Good. :) I bought a cheap-o one in the Target dollar section but really hope to make a nice one as my sewing skills develop! Thank you for the prayers. Be assured you are in ours, too!

ynez taylor said...

You bring joy to our hearts, Little Lamb. Thank you. This is the best of news. Praise the Lord!

Camp Cremers said...

We've done this at The Journey UMC for the past couple of years - LOVE IT!