11.13.2010

wishes

I got this in the mail the other day:
It made me a little sad for the children of today. I appreciate the effort.... I mean, a whole magazine about toys that is delivered to your mailbox? Seems like a great idea. Oh, wait. This has been done before:

Except it was done WAY BETTER. Who among you did not spend HOURS poring over the Sears Wish Book? I mean, that thing was huge. It had everything. Barbies? Check. Play kitchen utensils? Check. Clothes? Check. Riding lawn mowers? Check. It even had jewelry, which Sarah and I loved. We would cut out the diamond rings and tape them to our fingers. I also had a pair of diamond earrings that must have been at least 4 carats. You cut them out, tape them to your earlobes, and voila! Instant rich kid.

I don't know that I ever got a single item that I had circled or dog-eared in the wish book. But that isn't what I remember - what I remember is the actual event of sitting there with that giant magazine. Ahhhhh - childhood.

3 comments:

Knitrageous said...

Oh I remember! We couldn't wait until it came out. We looked and looked and looked at that book! And wished!

sarahsmile3 said...

I think we should get together and tape some paper jewelry on for the sake of the children.

Miss Bee said...

Sarah - what if we updated it and just wore some giant stick-on gems as earrings? (Like the ones you can use in a scrapbook or whatever.) That would be fun. For the sake of the children, of course.