12.02.2012

capturing december

How convenient.... I was just saying that I wanted to blog more when I came across this picture on Pinterest:

 (Looks like this is the source.)

So - I'm not making any promises to do all 31 days (it would be kind of fun though, so I might try) but I'll at least start with the first 2 days!

1.  My view today: 
 I finally finished my Advent calendar.  This particular calendar has a history... it is a replica of the one we used when I was a kid.  Here it is behind littlest siblings Jessica and Joe in 1985.

 A couple of Christmases ago, my mom sewed one of these for each of us.  She included a note with it, saying:  "When we first began with the calendar, we filled every pocket with candy (you can also insert a scripture verse or a 'good deed' slip of paper.)  However, we soon discovered that little fingers pilfered a piece or two here and there throughout the first week....so the Advent Angel had to remember to slip the treats in the night before instead of filling every pocket.  The older kids took turns lighting the candle and distributing that day's treat, as well as reading a short prayer..."  We had "morning prayer" every school morning as a child, and I have to admit that Advent was probably my favorite time!  I guess I've always had a sweet tooth.

She left all the pockets blank but included scraps of felt so that we could create our own pictures.  I'd been saving it, thinking it might be more meaningful to do it as a project with my nieces and nephews or something like that.  But the "control freak" side of me beat out the "sentimental" side of me, and I decided I wanted to be in charge of the pictures.  So last night, I finally finished cutting out all the tiny bird wings and holly leaves and got everything glued on.  I'm really happy with how it turned out - it is like a little piece of my childhood all wrapped up in a piece of felt.

Instead of candy, I decided to do the scripture verse.... AND an exercise in each pocket. I found this nifty calendar and decided it was easy enough to accomplish this Advent:

Whew.  I was a little long-winded with the day 1 prompt, so I'll keep it short for Day 2...

2 - My favorite holiday movie is "It's a Wonderful Life."  Not very original, I know.... but I make it a point to watch ol' George Bailey every year.


1 comment:

sarahsmile3 said...

I can't tell you how much I love that your mom made you the calendar but allowed you to decorate and you chose to make it a replica! It's a great calendar!