10.24.2013

stitch

When I was a child, my mom used to make crossstitch kits for us. They were ziplock baggies with a swatch of the fabric, several colors of thread, a needle and a tiny plastic frame. We would make them on trips or church retreats. I remember one with hearts and one big cross. I wonder what happened to all of my creations.

I've discussed my lack of hobbies and my funky disposition and have finally decided that I am going to take up needlepoint or embroidery. I'm actually pretty excited about it and already have several things in mind that I want to make.  I have to do some research on what to buy to get started.... I looked up classes but they are at least $40 an hour!  You can buy really cute kits on etsy too, but they are pretty over-priced in my opinion.  Hopefully it is like riding a bike and will all come back to me!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Nice! Think of all the cute hand-towels you can make! Pillowcases, too! I'm glad it's going to be your hobby. Feel free to make me something to get some practice ;-)

The JP Behnkes said...

My grandmother taught me the most basic of embroidery - it's like crocheting through fabric (if that makes sense!). It was easy enough for me to do as a child (which means I probably can't figure it out now!) and made some really cute dishtowels. Maybe start there and it will come back! How fun! I'm glad you're jumping in. :) :)

Jessica said...

Maybe you should embroider cute things on little shirts for your littlest nieces and nephews. :) Start by practicing with a little shirt for blossom!

Yay for hobbies!

Pat said...

Another thing I'd forgotten! I still have a bag o' patterns and thread and stitch direction in the back of my closet. If you remember, remind me when you visit and I'll share whatever I have. I've kept it, thinking that 'some day' I'd do it again.

sarahsmile3 said...

I like!

Knitrageous said...

I commented but I don't know where it went! I was going to suggest using a 40% off coupon at Micheal's if you wanted to try a kit to get back into things. You know this excites me! ha ha I like 'stitchy' things!